Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Week 8

This weeks assignments were very interesting! I really liked the sites for books. I've been getting into more personal reading since I've been taking so many classes. I really want to find a new series to read. I like books where I get connected to the characters. I created a Shelfari account and have been playing on it for a while! It's hard to think of all the books I've read to build a shelf. I love that it has the most popular, genre, subject and author sorts. I have so many books I would like to read now! When I was in the book store a few weeks ago, I started to read the one with the words, 'girl" and "tattoo" in the title. I just couldn't get into it but everyone's reviews are saying to stick with it!

Google Docs is a great idea to lessen the copies of documents and to communicate more effectively with others. I think this is great for a business but I don't know how I would use it in my classroom. I think for older students they could have their papers/homework on there and give the teacher access to them to grade. The teacher could edit and send it back for the student to fix. There would also be no excuse for not having a copy or for forgetting it at home if this way was used. As with sharing with other teachers I guess this could work where we don't have a lot of time to chat with each other. Then again, the other teachers need to feel comfortable with technology and that goes back to one of our first weeks of this class. I have some first day of school forms which could be helpful to other teachers. It is an interesting way to share files.

4 comments:

  1. You make an excellent point that many of the tools we are looking at have more a inter-faculty use at the elementary level. And the more we show them to other teachers, the more they thing, "dang, that (insert your name here) is really on top of her game!" and also, it helps them.
    You are the last comment of the week and now I am off to keep slogging through THE GIRL WITH THE GRAGON TATTOO on your reccomendation. If I am scarred for life, it is all your fault! Well, LibraryThing's fault, anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I too thought both the Library thing and Google doc's were really cool. I am hoping to use google doc's this year at school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barb... What do you think of that book? I tried to get into it at the bookstore and I just wasn't into it but everyone I've talked to says to power through it because the books get better..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read the first two and while I can't say that I loved them, they sure kept me reading. A little grisly, but interesting characters.

    ReplyDelete